Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Let's Go Exploring!

This last Saturday our family was itching to do something different, somewhere new. So, we went exploring and followed some general directions from friends and found this lovely little picnic spot. We drove up, up, up the side of Kilimanjaro and then down, down, down and found a ravine with lots of large rocks and a COLD mountain stream.








Anna was in her element as a budding explorer, whereas Sarah was a bit less enthusiastic.

The Papa of the family doing his own boulder jumping - and letting me take the camera for a moment. :)


Ben was enjoying every aspect of this experience!


His favorite activity was picking up rock after rock and throwing them into the water. It never got old, and he was a machine... rock, after rock, after rock, after rock... without ever looking up.



Anna fearlessly jumped from boulder to boulder and could have summitted Kilimanjaro this way if we had let her. Her mantra as she was doing this was, "I can FLY! I can FLY! I can FLY! I can... FLOP!" from a favorite book of hers.
Thankfully, she never did flop.





Benjamin beating the ground with his new found "stick weapon".
This was his second favorite activity of the day.


Taking a break for some chakula (food).







What a place.

6 comments:

Liana said...

Africa is absolutly beautiful...as well as your children!

Unknown said...

Looks like a fun adventure for everyone! Stick weapons are just the beginning!!! With very little effort, boys can turn anything into a weapon and love every minute of it :)!

K said...

Love your new post and photos! I hope this is our family someday.

Johanna said...

Love your pics Jenn! The kids are getting so big! When are you coming to the US again for a visit?

Mer said...

I don't know which was more beautiful..the scenery or the childrens. If I had never cut Allie's bear or Mary's hair even once, they wouldn't have enough hair combined to equal one of Sarah's ponytails....I'm seething over here. LOVE the pics..thanks for sharing. Sweet little Ben!

becca said...

I love it!!! What a fun, fun day. I love that your family is so adventurous to find a treasure like that! The story and pic of Ben with the rocks reminds me of Caleb when we went to Hawaii for my bro's wedding. He had just turned 3 and would spend HOURS picking up coral and throwing it into the ocean. He still talks about that 3 1/2 years later!